When it comes to generating new business the fundamental principles are the same whatever the size or nature of your company.
At its heart, winning new customers comes down to having the knowledge and ability to complete the required project and the right business values. If you’re sure you have these, the next step is communicating them to potential customers.
Every job you work on allows you to showcase what you can do, the type of business you are and is a potential way to attract new business. Well completed projects are a great way to generate word of mouth – one of the most powerful forms of marketing there is. After all, while it’s one thing for you to say you’re really great, it’s much more powerful if your customers are saying this about you.
However, what else can you do to continuously generate a positive image and reach new customers? Here are our five top tips to help you:
1. Be professional: the way you interact with a potential customer, through the quotes you provide, how you present yourself or even your time keeping, creates an impression they will share with their friends, family and colleagues. Referrals can generate more than 35% of your new business, which is definitely not to be sniffed at.
2. Be online: your company website doesn’t need to be complex. In fact the simpler the better. Visitors need to be able to find important information about you easily – what you do, how you can help them and how they get in touch with you. That said the most powerful things to include are examples of your work – they will really boost your credibility and attract the most attention. Read more about getting your own website on page 12.
3. Be social: even if you have just one social media account, it’s still worthwhile engaging with potential customers and getting your name out there at no cost to you. For example, we recommend you share photos of your work to demonstrate your workmanship. Don’t forget to tag or mention the manufacturer of products you are using for free publicity with their wider audience. See page 11 for more help with your social presence.
4. Be seen: your vehicle and your employees are free advertising if they’re branded with your company logo. Think van stickers (or signage), embroidered polo shirts, hoodies and fleeces – all easily available for a relatively low cost and can improve your overall appearance.
5. Be credible: putting the above into action, supported by the use of reliable products and quality workmanship will establish you as a credible contractor of choice.
So when thinking how to win more new business, take five, and think about how your business can do the selling for you.
Hambleside Danelaw are a leading manufacturer of pitched roof ventilation, GRP flashings and roof ancillaries.